Monday, October 1, 2012

Making a yarn wig



My sweet daughter wants to be Strawberry Shortcake for Halloween. She's been talking about it since well August maybe even July. Her bday is this month also so of course she wants a Shortcake party. We are "making" her costume which really means we are making somethings and have found a dress on clerance that looks just like Strawberry would wear. It's been so fun. My sister-in law has helped so much! We all can't wait till she can try it on as a whole =D! 


Inspiration for this project is here and this lady did a great job! 





Here's what you need!
support panel Panty Hose
Spool of yarn or more we only used a little more than half
Glue gun
Scissors

Optional-beads and pretty things to decorate the wig. We used Glow in the dark beads =)




Place panty hose on your young padawan let her run around laughing and showing everyone how silly she looks.
next tie a double knot with the legs
Cut legs off!!!! oh my
Cut several strang of yarn at you desired length
take a small strand and tie in the middle
Start placing them on your model ( I also used a baby doll at first) 
 My hubby walked in mortified that I was doing this then had a good laugh
My willing Model distracted by Baby Einsteins

Carefully Hot glue (yes I hot glued the bundles I was so so careful) I put a bead of glue on the middle knot of each bundle
So far so good!
This wig would make a great Aura sing costume!!!! Brilliant




So back to hot gluing the yarn bundles
You just keep going and going all the way to the front 
once done I cut some pretty shotty straight across bangs that I will fix later
after I took it off my model I glued like crazy under the yarn hair for reinforcement
I also filled in gaps with more yarn and glue
once done we added our pretty glow beads to random strands
We made big chunky pig tails 
Let the fun begin
She's thrilled that's all that matters =D

COST
yarn- $2.77
Beads-$1.70 ish
PANTY HOSE FREEEEEEEE
Total 4.47

Time 
a couple of  interrupted hours in front of HGTV and The princess and the Frog

No comments:

Post a Comment